Thursday 8 March 2012

walking the line....


When I was quilting my block keeper I had so much bother with it bunching, despite it being pinned to within an inch of it's life. I'd done straight line quilting before on my machine, turning down the presser foot pressure and using a longer stitch seemed to work ok. Mind you, I was using up some cheap polyester wadding for my block keeper so maybe it was that? The cotton/bamboo I normally use seems to grip the fabric much better.

Then I got to thinking... I've made good progress on my Tis The Season stitcheries and once the blocks are completed I'll be doing straight line quilting on that. Hmm... time to bite the bullet and get myself a walking foot. What a peculiar looking thing it is... like a mechanical crab complete with pincers!!!





I was itching to give it a try, so I grabbed some strips and pieced together a table mat and a little mat for a flower vase. I was glad I'd chosen the open-toe walking foot, it was much easier to see where I was stitching. As for bunching... none at all. It quilts like a dream :)







I'm much more confident about quilting my Tis The Season hanging now...

But first I need to finish the stitcheries and get those blocks pieced!


Happy stitching...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice,love your mat,well done.xx